Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Introducing Outside Kitty

my very own feral kitty
 It's early August, there is a full moon and crickets are being noisy. I'm sitting on the front porch of what used to by my grandparents house. There's a petite black and white feral  who knows me well enough to whine for food, but not enough to walk by me to get her dinner. Maybe if I sit still enough she can sneak past.

We've tried to name her different things, but Outside Kitty stuck. I doubt she'd want a human name anyway. We've been feeding her for maybe three years now. She plays pattycake with our two cats through the screen door and isn't scared of our dog. (nobody is scared of our dog) I'd love to bring her inside but I respect her autonomy. I worry about her in the winter. We have a small Dogloo for her, filled with comfy blankets, tucked close to the house. It keeps her out of the wind and warm, but I think she'd love to curl up by the fireplace. And I'd love to pet her, but I don't see that happening.

Feral cats have lived here as long as I can remember. I'd spend hours outside trying to befriend the kitties and catch a kitten; when that failed, I made them comfy beds out of my grandma's couch pillows. My grandma was awesome and let me do this because she knew how much I loved them.

Spreading the word about feral cats and kitties up for adoption is the least I can do right now. I'm not in a position to adopt or foster cats, but I can write about them! Hopefully I can educate Murray City about our neighborhood cats and find some cats homes. And in a few years, I can adopt twelve or fifteen of my own! :)





6 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful form of advocacy! Thank you for doing your part of the kitties of Murray City!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I emailed it all of my co-workers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you both! I'm really excited about my new project! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, too! What a beautiful cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have 4 cats, one, Molly, was a feral. I could not begin to think of her outside, she is so sweet and loving. She was in a foster home but they were going to put her back outside. Only, it was raining so hard they put her back into the Forgotten Cats of Delaware adoption center at Petsmart. She adopted my wife and me. She is a one year old long hair calico. I love it when a feral cat can be placed for adoption. Its a rough life out there on the streets or in the woods. I'am glad your feral cat is friendly enough to hang around you and lets you feed her, etc. Good luck with her and all the other ferals in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much everyone! I so wish Outside Kitty would come inside. I've been trying to think of ways to make her less afraid of me. Thank you for your stories and inspiration.
    :)

    ReplyDelete